Monday, December 7, 2009

A beautiful message from a reader of The Way of Stars and Stones



Hi Wilna and Terrie,

Great excitement as I finished reading "The Way of Stars and Stones" early this morning - what a book - what a journey.

As soon as I received it I wanted to start reading - however - life was busy so I left the reading until November.

Each morning I would eagerly await the light of dawn so I could read another chapter, the Illawarra sun would glisten outside my bedroom window on the flaming red blooms of my Illawarra Flame tree - the first time this tree has burst forth in such glory in 40 years, the red and green King Parrot would be whistling in the trees and the Wattle birds would be calling - I knew it was time to start reading - I wanted to read more - but also I wanted it to be a journey as well - imaging each day as you also woke to each day of your Camino journey.


Wilna I so enjoyed your descriptive passages - that helped to transport me into your world of walking the track, at first I though it would be a physical journey of your 40 days - 850km walk. Then I realised all the side issues and events that come with such a trek, and loved the way you handled the to and fro-ing of your thoughts as well as your physical walk.

As you said " The Ultimate luxury is having the language with which to express yourself" and this you did so well - I felt like I should still be in ITC to give a lexicology session on all your wonderful words! Your selection of quotes for each chapter were so thoughtful and appropriate. My imagination ran riot with so many of your stories - whether they were the ones about the Devil - to how you were going to use your Pepper Spray to protect yourself. Perhaps also because I know you and this adds to my imagination of you in this situation - that at times I laughed out loud, other times my tears came to the surface for you. Do you still have a supply of honey and gunpowder?? How are your feet now - do you have any permanent damage from this amazing walk?

At times I felt like taking a paint brush to paint what you described - "a pale cream stone house with blue shutters, pretty pots with pretty flowers., shiny window panes and whale song spilling out of the open doors."

How did you ever survive that hurricane in Cruz de Ferro? Such a great image created of your feather duster poncho -ripped to shreds by those winds. I am sure if you went of the TV Show "Survivor" you would win the $1,000,000 hands down!

The eeriness of those thick mists - -"shrouding everything in a white cashmere blanket"- the picture you painted "as little dust devils darted mischievously across the fields...". I had some idea of you in a dormitory of 29 male cyclists - as the only time I have done backpacking - the trip from Perth to Darwin in 2007 I had to share a dorm with 4 and one was a male and
I found that confronting - but 29 of them!!!!!!

I so enjoyed your ending and your wonderful photos - which I imagine you have so many of - they will be so precious - of all your days travelling so far. At times I became confused with where your were at - but then your little Camino shell would put me back on track with your story as well.

How great to have such an insight into people and their ways Wilna - I am so pleased that your achievements have helped so many. May Terrie, Thorsten, Kamil & Akira keep that connection going.

I was thrilled when I received your gift ( and yes Terrie - when I can pin you down - I will get the Cancer Foundation donation to you ) and more thrilled to read your story and to participate in a small way in your journey - I still have your Camino emails and marvel at the energy you must have gathered from somewhere to write them as well on that journey of a lifetime.

I am sure my daughter and sisters will enjoy this book as well.

Thanks again Terrie and Wilna

1 comment:

  1. Hi Wilna,

    I was so very excited to receive my copy of "The way of stars and stones" as an early christmas present this year.
    Thank you for allowing us an insight into your amazing journey both physical and spiritual. You have such a beautiful style of writing and such a great wealth of knowledge about such a broad range of subjects. I was entertained and educated. Most of all I was very inspired! I have to admit, I have been one of those people who you so often described as "lost", knowing they have more of a purpose in this present world but searching so hard that it has become a frustrating obsession with no answers. So you have taught me to stop looking so hard and enjoy the here and now and the things that I am "searching" for will present themselves. Your wonderful story really made me reflect a lot on my own life and I am looking forward to what will come my way as I keep my mind open. Even receiving your book in the post could not have been more timely! Your story has also made me think long and hard about the limitation of the physical and how it isn't the physical that limits us at all.

    I wish you every success with this wonderful book and think it is a must read for anyone in "spiritual turmoil" (which is nearly everyone I know!!) I have been recommending it to everyone and can't wait for it to become more readily available in Australia.

    Again, thank you for opening yourself up to us all and allowing us along on your Camino.

    Louise Pickford

    ReplyDelete